Microsoft Teams Privacy Notice
Who we are
The University of Wolverhampton (‘The University’, ‘we’ or ‘us’) are a ‘Data Controller’, as defined by the Data Protection Act 2018 and are responsible for, and control the processing of your Personal Data. You can contact us at email firstname.lastname@example.org, University of Wolverhampton, Wulfruna Street, Wolverhampton WV1 1LY. Tel. 01902 32 1000. Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at email@example.com.
Purposes for processing
The University processes your Personal Data through the management and administration of the Microsoft Teams product for a variety of purposes including:
- interactions between you and others such as video calls, instant messaging and phone calls;
- recording meetings, seminars, online events, online training and lectures between you and colleagues or other students;
- sharing and editing files and documents;
- creating teams for regular groups and committees;
- fixing diagnostic issues; and
- administering other apps to aid learning and working.
Information We Collect
The vast majority of information that we process about you will be provided by you when your employment commenced with the University. Information provided by you will include details such as your:
- full name;
- date of birth;
- location information;
- username and password; and
- contact details such as your work or student email address.
We will also process a photo of you if you add one yourself to your profile.
Condition for processing
The lawful basis we rely on for processing this information is that we have a legitimate interest to facilitate communications for staff and students to ensure the University operates effectively. For further information on what steps to take if you do not wish to be recorded during a meeting or lecture, please see the Microsoft Teams Usage policy which can be found here.
Who We Share Your Personal Data With
Information is shared with relevant departments within the University for the purposes outlined above. In addition, your data may be shared with third party app developers through the Teams service. This will only be done at your request in accessing the app.
We may also share personal details with organisations with enforcement powers such as HMRC or the Police. However, we will only do so if this is required to comply with our legal obligation to disclose information to these bodies. We will only share the minimum amount of personal data with any of the above and will always do so in accordance with the law.
Your data is retained for the duration of your employment with the University. Recordings will be retained in Microsoft Teams and will only be available to all in the particular group. If recordings are being taken for the purpose of ratifying minutes, they will be deleted once the minutes have been ratified. Any other recordings will be retained for up to one year after the recording is taken.
As an individual, you have a number of rights available to you. In this instance, the following rights are available to you:
- The Right to Access your personal information through a Subject Access Request.
- The Right to Rectify your personal information.
- The Right to Erasure – this may only be available if the retention period no longer applies.
- The Right to Restrict the processing of your personal information under certain circumstances.
- The Right to Object to the processing of your personal information.
How to Complain
If you have any queries, concerns or believe that your Personal Data is being handled in a manner which is contrary to statutory requirements, you may wish to contact the University of Wolverhampton’s Data Protection Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org or complain to the ICO via www.ico.org.uk.
Changes to Privacy Notice
We regularly review our privacy notice and will review it at least annually. This privacy notice was last updated on 29 January 2021.