CALMERIC (COMPOSITE & ADDITIVE LAYER MATERIALS ENGINEERING RESEARCH & INNOVATION CENTRE) is a new Research and Innovation Centre based at the School of Engineering Innovation Campus in Telford focusing on Composites and Additive Layer technologies.
The CALMERIC project, part funded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), supports Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) based within the Shropshire and Staffordshire counties to carry out research & innovation projects in the field of advanced engineering materials, in collaboration with specialist staff and resources in the Centre. CALMERIC supports advanced engineering and manufacturing companies to develop high performance components that are lightweight and make efficient use of materials. These advantages are particularly relevant to businesses operating within aerospace, automotive, motorsport and wind energy supply chains.
CALMERIC works in collaboration with companies that don’t presently have full in-house capability to develop advanced components manufactured using composite or additive layer technologies. Research Collaborations typically involve high level design and engineering analysis, prototyping, testing and material or microstructure analysis.
Find out more
Your company must have:
- Independent ownership
- Fewer than 250 employees
- Turnover of less than €50 million (euro) per annum
- Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) based within Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire, The Marches, (Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin) Greater Birmingham and Solihull.
CALMERIC is targeted towards businesses that operate in sectors including:
- Medical technology
- Transport technologies (including automotive, aerospace)
- Wind energy supply chains
- Applied materials
- Environmental technologies
To register your interest, contact the CALMERIC Project office at Telford Innovation Campus.
The project office will check your eligibility and advise on whether your project fits the CALMERIC project criteria.
- Our specialist innovation consultant will work with you to define your material innovation challenge
- We will complete scoping work on your behalf
- This stage is fully funded
DOES THE EXPECTED ECONOMIC IMPACT JUSTIFY FURTHER RESEARCH WORK?
If yes, we will define and agree a research collaboration project with you The CALMERIC project funds the time committed by our academic, technical and research staff
Your SME must commit an agreed level of match funding
SERVICES AND BENEFITS TO BUSINESSES INCLUDE:
- Advanced technical support
- Engineering analysis and design
- Process and materials development
- Materials testing
- Stress analysis of advanced materials
- Additive layer manufacturing
- Direct metal laser sintering
- Fibre reinforced composite materials
- Research and innovation
- Access to academic specialists, skills and resources
Research capabilities can include the utilisation of the following resources and equipment:
- Resin 3D printer for UV curing
- High pressure oven – Autoclave
- 3 and 5 Axis CNC manufacturing equipment
- Faro Edge Blue laser 3D scanning
- Compression Testing for tensile fracture, toughness, fatigue
- Optical SEM Microscopy
- CMM and reverse Engineering
- Auto Clave
- Wind Tunnel – subsonic & supersonic facilities
- Powder Particle size and shape analysis machine
- CT scanning – X-ray Microscopy – Non-destructive 3D analysis/micron resolution
- Powder Bed Fusion
- Melt pool Monitoring machine
- Non Destructive testing