If You Need Help Now

If you need help now:

Our University Mental Health and Wellbeing support team is not an emergency service and not a 24/7 service.  Complete our online registration form to access our support services.  Please note there is generally a wait time for an appointment.

If you are a student who is concerned that you might harm yourself, you need to contact an emergency or crisis support service instead. 

Below are details of the main emergency and crisis support services.  Unless it says otherwise, these are open 24 hours a day, every day:

  • 999 – You can always telephone 999 in an emergency.
  • Hospital – You can make your way to any hospital which has an Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department.  It might help to ask someone to accompany you. This webpage will help you find your nearest hospital.
  • Security – If you are on campus you can call 01902 32 1555  (or 5555 from any internal phone). They are available 24/7.
  • Your hall of residence– If you are in a hall of residence right now, you can also contact Security as above. 
  • Samaritans – You can telephone Samaritans on 116 123 from your mobile or landline (not University phones) or send an email (jo@samaritans.org).   If you need a response immediately, it's best to call on the phone. This number is free to call, and you don’t have to be suicidal to call.  Find out here whether you live near a Samaritans branch which you can visit to talk, face-to-face.
  • The CAM Crisis Messenger text service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK.  If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need support you can text CAM to 85258.  Website: www.camgrant.org.uk/cam-support-messenger 
  • Your GP/medical practice– Contact the medical practice at which you are registered and ask for an urgent appointment.
  • Local crisis support service– You can find local crisis support services on the NHS site.  If a health professional has already given you a Crisis Line number, call it.
  • visit Black Country Healthcare – Help in Crisis and Black Country residents can call 0345 6460827 24/7 to access urgent mental health, learning disability and/or autism support, find out more here.  
  • Other organisations, including PAPYRUS and Student Minds offer support and helpful resources.

Please do not forget the importance of talking to someone you trust.  Let family or friends know what's going on for you.  They may be able to offer support and help keep you safe.

There's no right or wrong way to talk about suicidal feelings – starting the conversation is what's important.

Our Pocket Support Guide

Download Our Pocket Support Guide  and save it somewhere you can access it easily, including your phone or you can simply print it out.

NHS Options

NHS and local mental health trust support links can be found below whether you already have support in place or wish to access specific support.

PLEASE NOTE: local NHS provision is based on GP NOT address so it is important that you register with a local GP when moving to university


4 Mental Health have a ‘Staying Safe’ website, offering free resources for anyone distressed, thinking about suicide or worried about someone they care about.




‌‌If you’re struggling and you’re not sure if you want to live or die, can you,  just for now, hold off making this decision and go to the Staying Safe website

Read and watch the videos for some ideas about how to get through.

There may be things that you - and other people - can do to make things better.

Advice for Staff