Canvas is our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and is used by students and staff to support all teaching and learning activities. In Canvas you will find reading lists, recorded lectures, and module activities such as discussions, collaborations and assignments.
Help with Canvas
You can access Canvas in the following ways:
- The Student Portal (myWLV), applicable for taught on-campus undergraduate, postgraduate and postgraduate research students.
- By going to https://canvas.wlv.ac.uk. For the best experience, it is recommended to use the Google Chrome browser.
- By opening the Canvas desktop icon that is available on all University Windows computers.
- By downloading the ‘Canvas’ app on Apple (iOS) and Android mobile devices.
Log in to Canvas using your University IT credentials, e.g. your University email address or user ID and password.
Students must complete their enrolment and module registration in e:Vision to gain access to Canvas and their modules.
TIP! Please be aware that it can take up to 24 hours after you have completed enrolment before you can access and view your modules in Canvas.
If you experience problems signing into Canvas with your University issued credentials or have forgotten your password, please visit our IT Account Password help page. Or, select one of the following methods.
- Send an email to ITSupport@wlv.ac.uk
- Open a support call using our online Service Desk
- Dial 2000 from an internal University phone
- Phone +44 (0) 1902 32 2000 from a phone outside the University.
Remember, as a student you must complete your enrolment and module registration in e:Vision to gain access to Canvas and your modules (and this can take up-to 24 hours to work after enrolment).
Once you have signed into Canvas, you can access 24/7/365 support using the 'Help' link on the left-hand menu:
- Canvas Self-Help Guides: Search the self-help guides to find out about Canvas features and functionality
- Report a Problem: Report a problem to the Canvas Support Team
- Live Chat: Chat online with a member of the Canvas Support Team
- Support Hotline: Speak to a member of the Canvas Support Team via a designated UK Freephone number or an international number (charged at local rate)
The following Canvas self-help training resources are available for students:
- Student Help and Guidance. This course points you towards some key areas to help you navigate and use Canvas, for new, returning and partner/distance learning students.
- Canvas Guides for Students
- Canvas Video Guides for Students
Additionally, please find introduction videos below for new, returning and partner/distance learning students.
Partner/Distance Learning Students
The Staff Help and Guidance Course shows you all aspects of Canvas to help you create an in-depth and user-friendly course for your students.
Guidance and material in this course evolves with our extending growth and usage of Canvas. Therefore, we recommend you periodically refer back to the pages in this course to ensure that your knowledge and usage is up-to-date.
Some examples of the Guidance available include but not limited to:
- Preparing a Canvas course
- Setting up Panopto
- Use of Canvas Plagiarism Framework
- How to invite colleagues and External Examiners to join your course
- Discover how Summative Assessments, Grading and Feedback work cohesively
Additional resources available for staff include:
To view all of your courses please follow the steps in this Self-Help guide, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10596-4212710333
When viewing your Canvas course listing, you can select courses to appear on your Dashboard as your ‘favourites’, which is explained in this step-by-step guide https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10570-4212710327
To gain access to a course in Canvas please liaise with the Module Leader, or a member of the Faculty Administrator team within your Faculty Student Services Office.
You can now find your reading list in the Canvas course using the reading list button on the left-hand menu.
Once you're in your reading list, you'll be able to access online resources, such as e-books and e-journals, directly using the links. Any printed resources will have their library location and shelf mark clearly indicated - you can also reserve these directly from your reading list.
If you can't see a reading list, you will be directed to your Head of Department to let them know. A full list of Heads of Department is available here.
Panopto is the University’s capture technology and can be accessed within a Canvas course. Staff can create pre-recorded content, live stream lectures and enable students to submit a Panopto video (e.g. for assessment).
Panopto may be enabled in your course. To find out more information on how to use Panopto you can view the Student Help and Guidance course for more information (https://canvas.wlv.ac.uk/courses/9339/pages/how-do-i-use-panopto)
The Staff Help and Guidance course provides support in enabling and using Panopto in your Canvas course. https://canvas.wlv.ac.uk/courses/10325/pages/panopto
BigBlueButton is a virtual classroom that is integrated into Canvas courses via ‘Conferences’. You can present, share your screen, conduct polling questions and generate breakout rooms for students to use.
To find out about using BigBlueButton in a Canvas course, you can view the information on the Canvas Community website. (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10503-4212627661)
You can use BigBlueButton to conduct live sessions with your students. To find out more on how to set this up in your Canvas course and to conduct a BigBlueButton conference visit the Staff Help and Guidance here (https://canvas.wlv.ac.uk/courses/10325/pages/big-blue-button)
Canvas Support Team are available 24 hours a day on every day of the year and you can contact the team when signed into Canvas via the Help link.
The University of Wolverhampton IT Service Desk is available between the hours of 8am-7pm during term time, and 8am-5pm during vacations.
Faculty Academic Administrator support can be contacted by either email or telephone. Please review you Faculty Student Services webpage for more information.